Tribulus terrestris medicinal uses and photos
Tribulus terrestris also known as Gokhru in India, has been used as an ancient herb for thousands of years. And it has been the most used plant as medicine in India for ages. It grows as creeper spreading branches to all directions. It is 2-3 feet long. Leaves are paired and irregular. Flowers are small and in yellow colour. The round fruits contain almost 12 seeds inside every compartment. Roots are brown and aromatic. In Sanskrit, it is called Gokshur, which means cow’s hoof. The fruit of the plant is used as a major ingredient in Ayurveda. It is worshipped by Hindus during Dusshera.
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Tribulus terrestris
Geological distribution of Tribulus terrestris
Tribulus terrestris is noticed in the mixed forests. It is native to Mediterranean region. It is naturalized in tropical, sub-tropical and warm temperate regions. It is also seen growing in various parts of the world such as Australia, USA, Asia and Africa. In Asia, it is found mostly in China, India, Indonesia and Malaysia. It grows mostly in South India such as Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and other parts like Odisha, Bihar, Gujarat and West Bengal. It is also found at the height of 5400m of Kashmir region.
Medicinal value of Tribulus terrestris (Gokhru)
The plant possesses antimicrobial and anticancer properties. The fruits are considered as diuretic and cooling. It is widely used in the Ayurveda, Unani and Homeopathy. The plant contains certain chemicals like saponins, gitogenin, chlorogenin and ruscogenin. This is sweet in taste and useful for its cooling effect. The medicinal values of Gokhru are described below:
- It is used for body building as it increases testosterone level and cures diseases in the uro-genital system.
- Tribulus terrestris is an herb that deals with urinary tract infection and kidney problems.
- It is famous for its diuretic properties.
- The plant is useful for asthma, cough or cold.
- It is also useful for its demulcent and aphrodisiac property.
- It is also used for the treatment of gall bladder stones.
- It is helpful in Bright’s disease.
- Tribulus terrestris also cures dropsy.
- It is famous for the treatment of rheumatism.
- Gokhru leaves are used for the treatment of diabetes.
- It also cures heart disease and clears breathing difficulties.
- It cures gout and hematuria.
- This is also beneficial for chronic cystitis, gonorrhoea and edema.
- It heals phosphaturia, nephritis and gleets.
- It balances hormones.
- It lowers the blood pressure.
- The plant is also proved for lowering cholesterol level and increases the cardiac activity.
- It is useful for the treatment of impotence in men and increases sexual power.
- It increases the moisture level and stickiness of body tissues.
- This also balances Bhatta and Pitta.
- It works against the itchy skin and purifies the blood.
- Gokharu is useful in the treatment of reproductive and nervous system.
- It increases appetite and normalize digestion.
The Tribulus terrestris has been used for centuries as a tonic in the Greek tradition. The whole plant and its seeds are useful in the treatment of various diseases. All the systems of medicine have made the best use of it. But an Ayurveda medicine specialist must be consulted before using it.