Terminalia bellerica medicinal uses and pictures
The Medicinal plant Terminalia bellerica also known as Baheda is native to India and grows throughout the country especially in lower hill areas. The plant grows up to 60-80 feet height. The trunk is straight and dark brown in colour. The leaves are broad, oval and 4-8 inches long. Leaves are crowded towards the end of the branch and tips are pointed. The flowers grow in both upper and lower part. The upper flowers are male and lower flowers are bisexual. When the fruit dries, it looks like a pentagon and is fibrous. In Sanskrit, it is called as ‘Vibheeta,’ which actually means the one which takes away the fear of disease.
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Terminalia bellerica
Geological distribution of Terminalia bellerica
The plant grows well in dry and deciduous forests of common plains. It is mostly found in South Asia such as India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia and China. In India, it is mostly found in the plain dry forests of Tamil Nadu, Assam, Odisha, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala. The tree prefers tropical climate.
Medicinal use of Terminalia bellerica (Baheda)
The fruit of Baheda contains chemicals like beta cetosterol, tannins, gaelic, ethyl and elegiac acid. Yellow coloured oil, extracted from the seed, is highly medicinal. It is used as an astringent and a laxative tonic. It is also the most important constituent of Ayurvedic Triphala. The ripen Terminalia bellerica is used as a purgative. The medicinal values of Baheda are described below:
- It enhances resistances of the body against diseases and infections.
- It is rejuvenating, prevents aging and adds longevity.
- The plant is useful for improving mental faculties.
- It cures vomiting and excessive thirst.
- It cures loss of appetite and also proved anti-diarrheal because of its astringent property.
- Baheda is useful for piles and curing intestinal worms.
- The fruit is useful for curing eye-related problems such as immature cataract or any kind of infection.
- It is used to lower the blood pressure and leveling the cholesterol.
- Terminalia bellerica promotes hair growth, adds nutrition and useful against greying.
- The fruit chewed is believed to cure cough, cold, asthma and hoarse voice.
- The paste of the fruit is applied to the swollen skin.
- Terminalia bellerica is helpful to stop bleeding.
- The fruit of Baheda is believed to cure bronchitis.
- Bahada is beneficial in curing any digestive problem.
- It is also helpful for ear pain.
- This has been proved beneficial against jaundice, leprosy and anemia.
- It is also used as spice and pickle.
- Bahada is useful against cardiac problems, diabetes and urinary disorder.
- It also cures flatulence, colic pain and parasitic infection and heart disease.
- It regularizes body temperature and cures dyspepsia when eaten with betel nut.
- It is prescribed for the treatment of liver and gastrointestinal track.
- It also shows various antimicrobial and anti-parasitic activities.
- The tonic is good for brain and stomach.
It has been proved that it is not intoxicating, is digestive and safe to be taken for all. It is safe both for children as well as pregnant women. But excessive use of this can cause gastric in some cases.