Medicinal plant Solanum Xanthocarpum
The plant Solanum Xanthocarpum also known as Wild eggplant or Kantakari is a perennial, thick, bright green and branched shrub. It grows throughout India in dry places. It grows mostly in tropical and sub-tropical countries. The leaves are ovate-oblong, elliptic and hairy. The flowers are bisexual, hairy, regular, complete, purple and blue mixed and white in colour. It is about .5-1 cm long. The midrib and veins are of two sharp prickles. Roots are 10-45cm long, taper, cylindrical and bitter. The stems are with prominent nodes and inter-nodes, with prickle, covered with hair. The berries are globular containing numerous seeds inside, glabrous and bitter. The plant is being used medicinally in various ways in India since 3000 years.
Wild eggplant /Kantakari / Indian Solanum
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Solanum Xanthocarpum
Geological distribution of Solanum Xanthocarpum
The plant is native to Asia and found in Nepal, Pakistan, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, China, Iran, Yemen, Thailand, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia. The plant is common in wasteland and roadside in India. It grows mostly as a weed. In India, it grows mostly in dry parts of Rajasthan, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Haryana.
Medicinal use of Solanum Xanthocarpum
The important constituents present in it are Glycoalkoloids and sterols. The fruit is rich in solasonine, solamargine, and solasodine. It also contains solanine, Betasterol, Lanosterol, Carpesterol, and Carotene. The entire plant has medicinal values in various ways. The root is one of the most important constituents of Dashamoola used in Ayurveda. The medicinal properties of the plant are described below:
- The root of Solanum Xanthocarpum helps in maintaining body temperature.
- It reduces the pain from the body and joints while taken with black pepper.
- It releases gas from the body by increasing the digestive fire.
- Solanum Xanthocarpum kills the worms in the intestine.
- It regularizes menstruation in women and gives easy delivery during pregnancy.
- It helps in healthy urination and protects the respiratory system be promoting blood circulation.
- Wild eggplant gives comfort for throat irritation.
- The paste of Wild eggplant when applied on the feet, it gives comfort from burning sensation.
- It promotes comfortable breathing by helping in the secretion of mucous from the chest.
- It clears constipation and flatulence.
- It reduces asthma, cough and cold.
- Kantakari protects the liver by clearing swelling and infections.
- It lowers the blood sugar in case of diabetics.
- The fresh juice of Kantakari leaves applied on head prevents hair fall and removes dandruff.
- When the juice is taken in nostril in drops, immediately stops chronic migraine and headache.
- The leaf extract also gives comfort from a toothache.
- It is also used to reduce fertility.
- It blocks spermatogenesis.
- It is used for the treatment of snakebites.
- The plant possesses antibacterial activity.
- Dropsy also is cured by Kantakari and the root is used for the treatment of piles.
- Kantakari is used for the treatment of gonorrhea.
- This is also useful for the treatment of skin diseases.
The plant is proved toxic up to some extent. But the Ayurvedic properties of this are numerous. Hence, the entire plant is used widely for medicine for the treatment of various diseases.