Natural home remedies to cure cough and cold in babies
Babies are, usually, prone to cold to coughs owing to their amateur immunity system. Colds and coughs in babies are usually caused by viruses and at times are a product of infections and allergies. Sore throat, sneezing, coughing and blocked nasal passage are some of the common symptoms of colds in babies. Although there are many medicines available in the market, yet nothing can work best than the home remedies. Here are some ways to help ease out the cold and coughs from your babies:
Home remedies for Infants below 12 months:
Utter care needs to be taken for infants, which are below 12 months old. One of the great ways to soothe their cold and cough is to provide them with loads of fluids.
- For infants less than 6 months old, breast milk or formula milk is ideal.
- For infants over 6 months, warm water or soup made at home can be considered. Try making a soup with few strands of grated ginger and feed it twice to the babies to soothe their sore throat.
- In case of nasal blockage, use salinated lukewarm water to help thin the mucus layers in the nose, which will help in comforting the baby’s breathing.
- Another great way is to use a homemade potli made by roasting garlic cloves and ajwain (carom seeds) and then filling it in a muslin cloth. The smoke from this mixture can help to give a warmth sensation to the babies.
- Another way is to make a paste of asafoetida and water and apply it on the temples of the forehead of the babies. In around 24 hours, the baby will be relieved of cold.
Home remedies for Babies above 12 months
Treating babies above 12 months from cold and cough can be done by using these home remedies:
- Make a potion with pepper seeds, grated ginger, honey and water. Boil all these ingredients and then sieve it to get the liquid potion. Take this potion twice daily for about 3 days to see a marked difference.
- Make soup at home by boiling all the green vegetables and then mixing the same in the grinder. Boil this liquid and add pinch of salt and sugar. Hot soup can help to get relief from cold.
- Another quick and easy way is to use raw turmeric sticks with milk. Boil the two together and then sieve it to get turmeric milk. Have this concoction once before going to bed. Turmeric is an anti-bacterial agent. It helps to relieve one from cold and at the same time aids in having a deep sleep.
- A quick way to get rid of cold is to use a paste of honey and grated ginger once or twice in a day. After taking this syrup, don’t drink water. It may give an itchy sensation in the beginning, but it helps amazing to get relief.
Babies need utmost care and the best way of care is the home remedies. So, use these simple and easy home tips for your babies and make them fit and healthy without any side effects.