Best Natural Home Remedies for Knee Pain
Knee pain is a very common problem experienced by adults. It can be extremely troubling as it can arise at any moment and stay there for a lifetime. Your knee experiences continuous tension throughout the day as we walk, kneel and stand to do various daily activities. Over the course of time, anyone can develop an everlasting knee pain due to the wear and tear caused to the joints. Other than that, there can be many other causes for knee pain. If left untreated, they can also lead to major complications. Hence, let us understand the various causes and symptoms of chronic knee pain.
Factors Causing Knee Pain
- Arthritis: Arthritis is a disorder that can lead to severe knee pain. It is also one of the most common causes of joint pain.
- Sports Injuries or Jumper’s Knee– Overuse of your joints can cause injuries to the ligaments in your knee. This band of tissue connects the bones together, especially, at joints. Knee pain, due to torn or damaged ligaments, is highly common with people related to sports and heavy physical activity.
- Torn Meniscus- Meniscus is the rubbery cartilage that offers a cushioning effect to the joint bones. Any tear or wear on this shock absorbent can cause severe pain in your knees.
- Bursitis– Bursitis is another common cause of knee pain. It is caused due to kneeling for long periods of time.
- Dislocation– A slight dislocation of the knee cap is hard to detect but can cause chronic knee pain.
- Bone Fragments– A major injury can sometimes chip off small fragments of bone tissue. These fragments can cause pain whenever there is any movement in the knee.
- Other– Knee pain can also be caused due to other reason such as cancer, bone tumor, or deficiency of essential nutrients and mineral.
Symptoms of Knee Pain
As the name suggests, severe or mild pain is a common symptom of joint pains. Along with that, the individual may also experience swelling and stiffness in the knee. Other symptoms include weakness, crunching noise, redness and shooting pain when the knee is in movement.
The treatment of knee pain may vary according to the causes behind it. Some conditions may require immediate medical attention and medications. However, most knee pains can be cured with simple home remedies that are natural and safe for health.
Here are a few easy and commonly available home remedies for knee pain:
Home Remedies for Knee Pain
Ice compression on the affected knee will not only relieve pain but also reduce swelling in that region. Simply, wrap some ice cubes in a piece of cloth and apply it on the affected knee for up to 20 minutes. Do this up to 3-4 times a day and whenever you feel pain in the joint.
Epsom salt can also be used for immediate relief of pain. Add a cup of Epsom salt into a bucket of warm water and stir it well till the salt gets dissolved completely. Then, soak the affected knee in it for up to 15 minutes. Doing this several times a week will provide complete relief from the chronic knee pain.
Lemon is also an effective remedy for some types of arthritis. Simply, cut two lemons into small pieces and wrap them up using a piece of cloth. Heat sesame oil and dip the lemon wrap into the oil. Then place the cloth on your knee and gently press it. Do this for up to 10 minutes every day for immediate relief from pain. Doing this twice, every day can cure knee pain permanently.
Mustard Oil Massage
Massaging your knee twice every day with warm mustard oil can provide complete relief from the knee pain. Add a clove of garlic chopped in up to 2 tablespoons of mustard oil and fry it till the garlic burns down. Strain the oil and massage the affected knee with the gentle circular motion of the hand. It will reduce swelling and relieve the shooting pain.
Magnesium is a highly essential nutrient for your body. It not only relaxes muscles and nerves to reduce stiffness but also makes bones stronger and denser. Include magnesium-rich foods like green leafy vegetables, nuts and dry fruits, legumes and fish in your everyday diet to create internal resistance against the knee pain.
Ginger is a highly effective home remedy that can quickly cure knee pain due to injury and arthritis. It can also reduce swelling and stiffness in the knee. You can make ginger tea by adding fresh ginger roots to boiling water. Boil this mixture for 15 minutes, then strain it and your herbal ginger tea is ready. You can add honey and lemon for better taste. Drink this tea several times a day for best results.
Additionally, you can also massage the affected knee with ginger oil for immediate relief from pain and inflammation.
Turmeric is known around the world for its many health benefits. The curcumin present in turmeric has remarkable anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can solve the knee problem permanently if used appropriately. Here are a few effective methods of using turmeric:
- Prepare turmeric tea by adding one teaspoon each of turmeric and ginger powder to a glass of boiling water. Allow this to boil for up to 15 minutes and then strain it. Add honey for taste and drink it twice every day for best results.
- You can also add a teaspoon of turmeric to warm milk and drink it two times a day.
If you are experiencing knee pain, check your weight and hit the gym if you are overweight. Extra body weight puts more strain on your knees and causes knee pain and pain in other joints as well. Eat healthily and exercise to strengthen your muscles. Strong leg muscles provide good support and distribute the tension on bones. Always consult your doctor and apply home remedies according to the causes of your knee pain. Stay healthy and stay safe!