Medicinal plant Mucuna pruriens benefits and images
Mucuna pruriens also know as Kainch or Velvet bean is an annual climbing shrub. Younger plants are full of hair, but when older becomes free of hair. The leaves are ovate, tripinnate and reverse ovate. The flowers are axially arrayed panicles and are 15-30cm long. The ripen fruits are 5 to 12cm long. The stinging hair present on the plant are responsible for skin itching and irritation as it contains phytochemical mucunain.
Botanical name and family
Botanical name – Mucuna pruriens
Geological distribution of Mucuna pruriens
Mucuna pruriens is a tropical legume and native to tropical Asia, Africa and naturalized everywhere. It is seen in forests of Indonesia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh and India. In India, it grows mostly in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Bengal, Bihar and Central parts. It grows wild in bushes and wasteland. It is widespread in Indian subcontinent.
Medicinal use of Mucuna pruriens
The bean, seed and hair of the plant are used for medicinal purpose. In Mucuna pruriens, the active chemical compound working is levodopa. This bioactive compound in its reaction heals many diseases. The seeds are rich in carbohydrate, protein, lipids and fibre. The Mucuna pruriens is used medicinally to cure various diseases and they are described below:
- It is used for the natural treatment of male infertility.
- It also cures the nervous disorder. It is also seen in a study of 140 persons suffering psychological disorder that it eases stress.
- It increases milk in nursing mothers.
- The plant is used for the treatment of insomnia, depression and gives long sleep.
- It reduces the effect of poisonous snake bites, scorpion stings and dog bites.
- It promotes the muscles of the weak body and often used by sports person.
- It is also used to regulate excessive bleeding caused due to menstruation cycle in women.
- It helps men to have longer sex as it increases libido in both men and women.
- It is also useful for the treatment of leucorrhoea and spermatorrhoea.
- Since centuries, it is used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- It is also helpful for reducing fever.
- Mucuna pruriens is proved helpful anti-diabetic and reduces blood pressure.
- It is also used to induce vomiting and proved carminative.
- Velvet bean enhances the blood flow in case of paralysis.
- Velvet bean is used for reducing body pain and joint pain.
- It also strongly possesses the antioxidant properties.
- Mucuna pruriens is used as a diuretic and blood purifier.
- It also reduces high cholesterol and protects the cardiac system.
- It is also helpful against kidney stones.
- Mucuna pruriens is used as a nervine tonic.
- In India, it is used for tuberculosis and uterine stimulant.
- This is also helpful to reduce weight.
- It is proved useful for the killing of intestinal worms.
- Mucuna pruriens is helpful for the treatment of cancer and cholera.
- It cures wind-burns, diarrhoea, gout, impotence and reduces inflammation.
- Velvet bean tea is proved highly stimulating as coffee.
Before using the plant medicinally, an Ayurvedic medicine specialist must be consulted. Self-medication can be proved harmful.