Medicinal plants Sandalwood uses and images
Sandalwood is a fragrant and tropical tree, and it has been in use since time immemorial. It is an evergreen and parasitic or semi-parasitic medium sized tree and grows up to 20m high. It grows in dry and deciduous forests. Sandalwood has a truckload of religious value. Hindus use this in a funeral pyre, a paste of this in worship, sacrifice, as wood for making idols and auspicious ceremonies. Buddhism also has significant use of this twig. The heartwood is the most important part of this tree. The leaves are thin, ovate and opposite.
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Santalum album
Geological distribution of Sandalwood
The Santalum album tree is native to South India and Malayan Archipelago. Sandalwood grows mostly in sandy, stony and red solid habitat. Besides Indian, it is found in Australia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Java and many other Pacific countries. In India, it is found mostly in South Indian states like Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Ancient Egyptians imported the wood for medicine.
Medicinal value of Sandalwood
Among the many health benefits of Sandalwood, it is famous for its antiseptic property. The heartwood and the essential oil derived from it are useful for various medicinal purposes.
- Sandalwood is used against the infection.
- Santalum album cures many skin diseases. This is useful in swelling or patches on skin, inflammation, itching and eczema.
- Its also used to cure acne.
- It is also used for the treatment bronchitis.
- Sandal has been in use against fever and headache.
- The Sandalwood extract is used as a cardiac tonic.
- It is used for the levelling urine flow.
- It is cool in nature and has a cooling effect.
- The oil is used for the infection in mucus tissue.
- Chinese use this for the gastric problem and gastric treatment.
- Because of its cooling effect, Santalum album is used against stress-related disorders.
- The tonic is used for growth in the children and good for stomach and abdomen.
- It is used for the treatment of a chronic cough internally.
- It is used as strong gum and prevents natural teeth loss.
- The paste is anti-inflammatory both externally and internally.
- Sandalwood oil is used against scabies and removal of pimples.
- The sandalwood oil is useful against gonorrhoea and dysuria.
- It promotes the mucus secretion in the bronchial tube.
- It is used during the heat to reduce sweat and prickle.
- Sandalwood is used both externally and internally against sunstroke.
- It is diuretic and a diaphoretic.
- It protects nerves, blood vessels and tissues.
- Santalum album is used for treating indigestion.
- It is used against chest pain.
- It slows down the ageing and promotes skin.
- The essential oil of sandalwood fights against harmful bacteria and viruses.
- The essential oil is useful for the treatment of high blood pressure and treatment of insomnia.
- The oil is used for massage and also used for fragrances, candle, soap and making perfumes.
The tree is best useful when it is 160 years old. Because of its medicinal value, sandalwood is as useful as gold.