Medicinal plants Brahmi uses and pictures (Bacopa monnieri)
Brahmi is a common trailing herb found throughout India. It is a perennial herb of 10cm high. The leaves are small, fleshy, and sessile and arranged in an opposite direction. The flowers are of 1-2cm and white in colour. In fact, it grows in warm and humid parts of the world. Since 3000 years, Brahmi is used as a medicinal plant in India. The use of Brahmi in India can be traced back to the Vedic age and has been mentioned in Atharva Veda. The usefulness of this plant is also quoted in Charaka Samhita.
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Bacopa monnieri
Geological distribution of Brahmi
In India, it is found in Karnataka, Kerala, Odisha, Bihar, Punjab, Haryana, Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttrakhand. It grows in subtropical and poorly water drained areas. In 30-40 degree temperature, Brahmi grows faster. Besides India, it grows in the swamp and marshy places of Nepal, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, China, Bangladesh, USA, Florida and Hawaii.
Medicinal use of Brahmi
The components present in Brahmi are alkaloids, saponins, Bacopaside A3 and sterols. Brahmi has strong antioxidant activities and useful for oxidative damage.
- Brahmi is used as a nervine tonic to increase memory power. Brahmi is used to get ease from a backache, mental illness, epilepsy, irritation in the bowel and joint pain.
- Rich in Vitamin C, hence it can be used for soup and salad.
- An ointment made of the root is used for the treatment of the elephantiasis.
- Dry leaf powder of Brahmi mixed with milk is helpful in the treatment of gonorrhoea.
- The extract from the leaves is also helpful for curing jaundice and fever.
- It is also used as a remedy for the dysentery of children.
- The leaf juice can also be used for increasing blood and enhancing the nervous system.
- It is used as a remedy for eczema and other skin diseases.
- It is also used for increasing sex drive.
- The leaves purify the blood. Locally Brahmi leaves are used for the treatment of insanity.
- It clears chronic ulcer. It also can be used for the treatment of cholera, home remedies for piles and amenorrhea.
- Brahmi helps in the growth of the nails, hair and skin. With a combination of Tulsi, Neem and Amla, Brahmi is used for nourishment of the hair and makes it thicker. It also makes hair longer.
- Brahmi extract is used as a neurological tonic. It has neuro- protective properties.
- It is used for the treatment of ulcer and tumours. Brahmi leaves are used against arthritis and rheumatism. Brahmi juice balance psychological state.
- The extract from Brahmi leaves cure asthma, and bronchitis.
- The juice helps against indigestion. It is also used for leprosy and anaemia.
- Brahmi juice can be used for the treatment of Spleen disorder. It also protects the liver, kidney and lungs.
- Brahmi also helps in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
The word Brahmi comes from the word ‘Brahman’ which means Consciousness of God. As the interpretation suggests, Brahmi adds serenity to the body, soul and spirit. Cleaning the toxic substances from the body, it also proves another divine nature.