Catharanthus roseus (Vinca) Medicinal plant benefits and images
Catharanthus roseus (Vinca) also known as the Madagascar periwinkle or rosy periwinkle or Sadabahar is grown as an ornamental plant in the garden. This is a 1m tall perennial herb with oppositely arranged leaves. The plant produces several flowers such as pink, red, lilac, white and light shade darks. The pink and the white varieties are grown for its medicinal value. The leaves are around 3cm, oval and oblong. The fruit is 3-4cm long and a pair follicle. The species is cultivated as herbal medicine. In Ayurveda, the plant root and shoot are poisonous, yet used as medicine against several diseases.
Vinca, the Madagascar periwinkle, rosy periwinkle and Sadabahar in India
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Catharanthus roseus
Catharanthus roseus (vinca) Geological distribution
The plant is native to India and Srilanka. It is also native to Madagascar. It is found in Australia, South Africa and Australia. In India, it is mostly found in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Gujarat, Odisha, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. In the United States, the plant grows well in South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, Florida and Georgia. It also grows in Southern Europe. It is an endangered plant in wild because of slashes and burn cultivation.
Medicinal uses of Catharanthus roseus (periwinkle)
Catharanthus roseus is a tropical plant used for medicinal purpose. The plant contains 2 types of active compound such as alkaloid and tannins. The plant contains resperine. The plant has a long history of use as medicine in Ayurveda and Unani. The whole plant possesses medicinal properties. Followings are some medicinal properties of Catharanthus:
- It decreases blood pressure and reduces excitement. Take Arjuna Capsules to reduce blood pressure.
- It is also proved anti-diabetic. Take Healthvit Jamun Juice to cure diabetes.
- Catharanthus roseus is used as an anticancer agent. It is most effective for the treatment of lung cancer.
- It is used for the treatment of Leukaemia.
- It has antibacterial and antiviral property.
- The Vinca plant extract is useful for the treatment of dysentery and diarrhoea.
- It is also anti-inflammatory in nature.
- The medicine prepared from the alkaloid of this Catharanthus roseus plant is used for the treatment of Hodgkin’s lymphoma in children.
- The flower petals and seeds have antioxidant property.
- It cures various skin diseases such as acne, eczema and dermatitis. Use Pure aloe vera, soothing gel for healthy skin.
- It is also useful for the treatment of nose bleeding, gum bleeding as well as treatment of bleeding hemorrhoids.
- The extract of the plant is also useful for an eye infection and irritation of the eyes.
- Catharanthus roseus regularizes bleeding problem for women.
- The plant is also useful for the treatment of mouth ulcer.
- The extract gives comfort during the depression, headache, nausea and fatigue.
- Vinca is also useful for the treatment of malaria.
- Catharanthus roseus is also useful for the treatment of Asthma.
- It also stops bleeding from the wound directly.
- Vinca also gives comfort from infection and swelling.
- The plant is used against insect bites.
- Catharanthus roseus is diuretic in nature and increases urine.
The plant is reported of causing poison in grazing animals. It is also reported of causing kidney and nervous problem as a side effect. It is also proved harmful for pregnant women. Before using the plant extract, one must consult a health specialist.