Medicinal plant Azadirachta indica (neem)
Azadirachta indica also know as Neem tree is native to tropical countries and seen everywhere in Indian sub-continent. Since 4000 years, Ayurveda is making the best use of it. The Sanskrit word used for Neem is Arista, which means “perfect, complete and imperishable.” Every part of the plant bears enough medicinal value. This is a fast growing plant. It grows up to 30m in height and leaves are seen throughout the year. The flowers are white in color and smell like honey. The fruits are round and the seeds are white in colour when ripe.
Botanical name and family
Botanical name –Azadirachta indica
Geological distribution of Azadirachta indica (Neem)
Azadirachta indica (Neem) trees can grow in 44-degree maximum C and 4-degree minimum C. It is native to Myanmar and grows all over India. It grows well in Siwalik Hills, Carnate and Deccan regions of India. It is also seen in Australia and Sudan. In Africa, it is found in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda. But the plant is seriously spreading in Kenya and Uganda these days. It is also seen everywhere in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Pakistan. It is also growing well in the islands of the Southern part of Iran.
Medicinal use of Azadirachta indica
- The juice is used to kill intestinal worms.
- The neem barks are used against allergy and prickle.
- It is antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiprotozoal.
- Azadirachta indica barks are useful in the treatment of the tumor.
- The twigs give relief from a toothache; it cleans the tooth and acts as a deodorant to mouth.
- The leaves are used as insect repellent.
- Azadirachta indica leaves are used for treating chicken pox.
- Neem also cures muscular pains.
- Neem is helpful in curing various skin infections such as eczema, scabies, and itching.
- Extract of neem is also helpful in curing diabetics.
- It is also useful in the treatment of HIV, hepatitis and several other diseases.
- The extract of Azadirachta indica also can clear cancer, heart disease, psoriasis, herpes, allergies, and ulcers.
- Neem leaves are used against scars and pigmentation.
- Azadirachta indica leaves are used to cleanse the blood.
- It clears gastrointestinal problems and protects the digestive system.
- It is used to moisturize the skin and reduce inflammation.
- It enhances the immunity and helps the body to fight against various infections.
- Neem is used in modern days as a useful ingredient in cosmetics, face packs, shampoos, Soaps and so on.
- The seed pulp is useful in the production of methane gas.
- Azadirachta indica cake is used as an essential fertilizer for various crops such as sugarcane and some other cash crops.
- It also cures leprosy, bloody nose, and ulcers.
- It is also used to cause abortion.
- The leaves and flowers are used as vegetable and popular in all the parts of the country.
Azadirachta indica tree has enough religious and cultural significance in India. Every family loves to have a Neem tree of their own. The seed oil of Azadirachta indica can be toxic and should not be used internally. All the traditional and modern systems of medicine are able to make the best use of Neem.