Medicinal plant Adhatoda Vasica (Malabar Nut) benefits
Adhatoda Vasica also known as Malabar Nut OR Vasa is a well-known medicinal tree. It is a small evergreen plant with sharp, pointed and lance-like leaves. The leaves are 10-16cm long and greenish brown when dried and bitter in taste. The flowers are bisexual, have large and white petals. It smells like a strong tea. The fruit is a small capsule with small 4 seeds. The entire plant is about 3-4 m in height. The branches are opposite and ascending. The plant has been in use for the past 2000 years in India for medicine.
Malabar Nut / Vasa
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Adhatoda Vasica
Geological distribution of Adhatoda Vasica
The plant is found in Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Panama, China, Indonesia and Malaysia. It grows in plains of India and Lower Himalayas. It requires dry, moistures and tropical forest for better growth. In North, it grows well in Punjab, Bengal and Manipur in South East and Travancore of Kerala in South. They are mostly found in the wasteland and various habitats.
Medicinal value of Adhatoda Vasica (Malabar Nut)
The leaves, roots and flowers are mostly used medicinally. The chemical constituents of this are alkaloids vasicine, vasicinone, vasicinol, maiontone and essential oil ketone. The leaves possess an unpleasant smell and grazing animals cannot eat this. The medicinal values of Malabar Nut are described below:
- The leaves are used as an herbal treatment of cold, cough and asthma treatment.
- The leaves are used for malaria treatment.
- Extract from the leaves cure diarrhoea, dysentery, vomiting and stomach upset.
- It cures jaundice and protects the liver.
- Traditionally, it is used to enhance the delivery rate during childbirth.
- It is proved helpful for curing gonorrhea.
- Malabar Nut are used for the treatment of leucodermia.
- The plant cures leprosy and blood disorders.
- It levels the body temperature during malarial fever.
- It increases memory power.
- Adhatoda Vasica can be used against heart disorder.
- It protects the respiratory system. The leaf juice is proved effective against bronchitis.
- Adhatoda Vasica also cure difficult breathing problems and gives comfort.
- It gives relief from excessive thirst and proved good for the throat.
- It is used for the treatment of sore eyes and mouth problems due to pyorrhea.
- It is useful for various skin diseases, infections and eczema.
- It is also proved helpful for the treatment of burning sensation in hand and feet tuberculosis.
- Adhatoda Vasica also are used for the treatment of urinary tract infection.
- The extract also is used to get comfort during a headache.
- It is also used to kill worms in intestines.
- It reduces high blood pressure.
- It also reduces blood sugar level.
- It is proved as a very good medicine against dengue.
- The infused leaves help in killing white ants, mosquitoes and flies.
- Vasa is useful against bleeding caused due to piles.
- Up to some extent, Vasa is proved hepatoprotective.
- The leaf decoction with honey gives good result by breaking constipation.
Some tribes in India use this plant to cause abortion against illegal pregnancy. Some tribes in India cook this leaf to prepare delicious food. Yet self-medication of this plant might be proved harmful. Better to consult an Ayurveda specialist before using this herb.