Definition of earache
Pain in the ear is termed as earache. In most of the cases, children suffer from earaches as compared to adults. It is the ear condition that can affect a single ear or both of them. It may be constant or occasional and its intensity varies greatly. Earaches caused by infections can result in hearing loss. It is a highly painful condition and needs to be treated with care.
Causes of earache
There are various causes that can cause earaches. Some of the causes are directly related to the ear while some may be caused as the result of disturbances in areas around the ears. Let us take a closer look at some of the causes of earaches.
- Building up of fluid inside the ear or eardrum.
- Infection in the ear canal.
- Eczema in the ear canal.
- Injury inside the ear canal due to poking of objects like cotton buds.
- Ear blockage caused by plugs of earwax.
- Infection in the throat.
- Pain in the jaws.
- Dental abscess or wisdom teeth problems.
- Pain in the facial nerves.
Symptoms of earache
The main symptoms of earache are as follows:
- Infants suffering from earache may become irritable and hot.
- Children can pull, rub or tug their ears.
- Loss of appetite in children.
- Restlessness while sleeping at night.
- Coughing along with running nose.
- Hearing disorder.
- Having problem in maintaining body balance.
Treatment for earaches
Earache is not a long term disorder and can be cured fast with proper treatment. Some over the counter pain killers are good in curing the pain. But it is always good to take the suggestion of a medical practitioner before consuming any kind of medicines. Ear drops prescribed by the physician helps to heal the infection and some of them are helpful in removing the trouble causing earwax. If the earache is being caused due to infections, treatment with antibiotics will be most helpful.
How to prevent earache?
It is always wise to prevent a condition rather than curing after it occurs. So here are some tips that can be helpful in preventing earaches.
- Keep your hands clean as most of the infections are caused from dirty hands.
- Try to avoid smoky environment as it has been proved that people who are around cigarette smoke are vulnerable to ear infections.
- Breast-feed your baby as much as possible as it prevents the baby from ear infections.
- Immunize your child to prevent any type of infections.
- Stop using pacifiers within a year as babies who use pacifiers after 12 months are vulnerable to ear infections.
Home remedies for earache
- Take 2 garlic cloves and remove their covers. Now take two tablespoon mustard oil in an iron pot with these garlic cloves and put this pot on low flame. When garlic cloves turn black put this mixture off the flame. After some time filter this oil using a clean cloth and when it is bearably hot, use two to four drops of this oil in the infected ear using cotton. It is best remedy for ear pain or earache. If you have insect in ear then it will kill that and stop earache. IF you have ear wax (cerumen) problem then use 5 neem leaves (Azadirachta indica) too with garlic cloves and use two to four drops of this oil in the infected ear using cotton for few days. If will give you sure relief in ear injury and ear wax. You can also use sesame oil instead of mustard oil.
- Onion juice is very beneficial in earache. Use 2 or 3 drops of lukewarm onion juice inside ear. It is also beneficial in ear wax (cerumen) and ear insect.
- Olive oil is helpful in providing fast relief from earaches. It serves as a lubricant and helps in getting rid of infections. Simply put a few drops of lukewarm olive oil in the ear to get relief.
- Garlic is the vegetable with antibiotic as well as analgesic properties and is thus helpful in treating ear pains
- Onion is known for its antibacterial and antiseptic properties. You have to crush a fresh onion and then wrap it in a clean cloth. Just hold the cloth over the infected ear for about 10 minutes and repeat the process several times.
- Use a hot water bottle wrapped in towel to compress the aching ear
- The anti-inflammatory property of ginger works as a natural pain killer. You can put the juice of ginger directly into the ear to treat the pain.
- Ginger has strong anti-inflammatory qualities that can be useful in treating ear infections. Extract juice of fresh ginger and put into the ears to get relief from pain and reduce inflammation.
- Holy basil (Tulsi) has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and analgesic properties. Its extract is beneficial in ear pain. Crush 5 basil leaves to extract the juice. Put three or four drops of this juice in your ear. Repeat once or twice a day.