Plant Holarrhena antidysenterica medicinal benefits
Holarrhena antidysenterica plant grows as a deciduous shrub up to 3ms high. The leaves are opposite, ovate and 10-cm long. The stem has several branches. The flowers are corymb-like cymes. The flowers have five white petals and grow up to 2-3cm high. The fruits are cylindrical and paired and the seeds are light brown. It is a medicinal plant in Ayurveda. The botanical name of the plant itself explains the main medicinal property of plant that is explained in Veda for the treatment of diarrhea.
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Holarrhena antidysenterica
Geological distribution of Holarrhena antidysenterica
The plant grows mostly in Asian tropical countries. In India, it grows mostly in sub-Himalayan regions. It is seen everywhere in the forests of India, Travancore, Assam and Uttar Pradesh. The plant grows well in deciduous forests.
Medicinal uses of Holarrhena antidysenterica
Bark and seeds of the plant are used medicinally. The bark contains the alkaloids such as regholarrenine A, B, C, D, E, and F. It is pungent, bitter, and astringent in taste. It is used both internally and externally. The medicinal uses of the plant are described below:
- It is used for the treatment of dysentery caused due to amoeba.
- The seeds are antibilious and promote conception. It is also used for toning up vaginal tissue after delivery in women.
- The plant is used for the treatment of skin diseases such as scabies, ringworm, itching and other infections.
- The plant is used as the rejuvenating agent for the immune system in the body.
- It also cures rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- In treatment of bleeding piles, Kurai checks the secretion of mucus and blood.
- It is also used for mal-absorption.
- It is also used for the treatment of colic.
- It is also used for the treatment of urinary tract infection.
- The plant is used for treating disorder in the digestive system resulting vomiting.
- It is also used for children to kill worms in intestine since ancient days.
- Extract from the stem and bark cures mouth ulcer and also treats an oral infection.
- It is also used for breaking constipation.
- The seeds are used for curing fever and cold.
- The seed powder is also used for dressing of oozing wounds.
- It is helpful when the paste of it is applied on boils.
- A study proves that it lowers the blood sugar in case of diabetes.
- It is also proved effective for the treatment of malaria.
- It is also useful for kidney and gall bladder stones.
- It is also used to clean and promote milk in nursing mothers.
- It is also useful for body pain and quenching thirst.
- Holarrhena antidysenterica is used to detoxify the body and relieve tiredness.
- It is also used for various ENT infections.
Holarrhena antidysenterica possesses some side effects such as sleeplessness. The excessive consumption of these causes anxiety. Patients suffering liver and kidney problem must avoid the use of this. So, before the use of this plant, a health specialist must be consulted because self-medication might be proved harmful.