Quick Relief with Home Remedies for Back Pain
Back pain is one of the most common disorders experienced by the modern human community. Back pain can affect a person’s upper, middle or lower back and the intensity of pain ranges from mild to unbearable. Even though, it is not a fatal disorder, it can be very frustrating as you may find it difficult to maintain certain sitting and standing postures for long periods of time. It affects your daily chores and you may also feel exhausted quickly due to the continuous pain in your back. There are many reasons that cause back pain and the treatments may vary according to the causes.
Symptoms of Back Pain
Other than aches in the back, there can be other symptoms of back pain like stiffness, numbness or irritation in the back region. In some cases, you may also experience numbness in the groin region, pain in legs, inflammation or difficulty in urinating. If you are having any of the above symptoms along with persistent and chronic back pain, consult a physician as soon as possible.
Causes of Back Pain
The spine or the backbone is the central bone on which our body holds itself upright. This bone structure is strained and stretched whenever we walk, sit, work or even lie down. Here are some of the common causes that result in back pain.
- Poor Sitting Postures– This is one of the most common causes to back pain, especially due to our everyday modern lifestyle. Sitting, standing or laying in an improper way for long periods of time puts immense strain on the spine and eventually causes back pain. Lifting heavy objects, bending or stretching in an improper way can also lead to back pain.
- Previous Injury– Any internal injury to the backbone can also lead to sheer back pain in the long run. Anything from a gentle fall to a twist in the spine, can lead to back pain even though it may not seem serious at that moment.
- Back pain due to the bone condition– People with bone disorders like arthritis may also feel back pain. Other causes can be a herniated disk, bulging disk or disk rupture. In some individuals, the spine may have an unusual bending or curvature, such individuals are at a high risk of acquiring back pain as they grow older.
- Mattresses and Couches– Mattresses and other cushions must be checked well so that it suits you the best. It may look gorgeous, but if it does not offer proper support to your backbone, you are more likely to develop a back pain very soon.
- Unhealthy Diet– Unhealthy eating habits can make you overweight, and the spine will be under tremendous strain due to the extra body weight that it has to support. Wrong eating habits can also lead to nutrient and mineral deficiencies in your body. Deficiency of minerals like calcium and magnesium can result into weaker bones and gradually develop into a severe back pain.
If you prevent the above-mentioned common causes from occurring, you can make sure that back pain never arises. However, if you are already facing the problem, try out the following home remedies that can cure any back pain easily.
Home Remedies for Back Pain
If the pain is too much to handle, use of ice packs on the aching area can provide immediate relief from pain. However, to cure the back pain problem, massage your lower, middle and upper back using essential oils such as eucalyptus oil, olive oil or coconut oil. Heat the oil and massage regularly with warm oil every day for relief from back pain.
Exercise and Care
Stronger abdominal muscles and lower back muscles can help you in maintaining correct posture while sitting and standing. Hence, exercise to strengthen your back muscles as well as abdominal muscles and also take special care about proper postures.
Basil leaves can also be very helpful in relieving back pain. Put up to 10 basil leaves in a cup of boiling water. Allow it to boil until the water is reduced to half a cup. Drink this concentrated mixture once or twice a day, depending upon the intensity of pain you are experiencing.
Take 100 grams of poppy seeds along with 100 grams of rock candy and finely grind them together. Consume 2-3 teaspoons of this mixture every day and then drink a glass of milk over it. Consume the mixture twice every day if you are experiencing intense backache.
Ginger is an essential herb, used to fight against many diseases. It can also be used to cure back pain easily.
- You can make ginger tea by mixing ginger powder, black peppercorns, and cloves. Use one teaspoon of each ingredient and add to boiling water. You can add honey or salt for better taste.
- Another method of using ginger for back pain is by applying the ginger paste on the aching areas and then massaging it with any herbal oil.
- Simply add a few slices of ginger root to boiling water. Allow the mixture to boil at low heat for up to 20 minutes and then strain it. Drink it 2-3 times every day for relief from back pain.
Garlic is also highly nutritious and has many medicinal values. Eat a few cloves of it every morning on an empty stomach and you will experience relief from back pain very soon.
You can also prepare garlic oil and use it to massage your back. It is very easy to prepare garlic oil; simply add few cloves of garlic in coconut oil or sesame oil. Heat it for some time and strain the oil when the garlic appears brownish in colour. Use this oil for a daily massage on the aching areas.
Other effective back pain home remedies
1. Soak 60 gm wheat in water for whole night. Next morning mix 30 gm khaskhas (poppy seed) and 30 gm coriander in wheat and crush to make a thick paste. Now cook this paste with milk and make kheer. Eat this kheer everyday for 1-2 week and it will give you total relief in pain and make your back stronger. It is also beneficial in week digestive system.
2. Take khaskhas (poppy seed) and candy sugar in same quantity and make powder of it. Take 2 Table spoon of this powder every morning and evening with hot milk.
3. Massage your back with tarpin oil (TURPENTINE oil) everyday.
4. Avoid rice and wheat flour in food.
5. Drink hot water. If you want to drink cold water then first boil some holy basil leaves and cardamom (elaichi) in it. Now drink this water whole day.
6. Every morning drink lukewarm water with honey or glucose.
7. Eat 3 walnuts every morning in breakfast. Its beneficial in back and joint pain.
These simple remedies can do wonders and provide you quick relief from your backache, but some back problems may mandatorily require medical guidance and detailed diagnosis. Keeping in mind that there are numerous causes to back pain, it is always advisable that you consult your doctor before you try the above-mentioned home remedies.