Acai Palm tree medicinal uses and photos
The Acai palm is found in abundance in northern South America and Central America. This lean palm grows on its own in the damp shady areas of the rainforest and on an average reaches a height of 50-100 feet. It’s a palm with many stems, and a full grown tree has about 6-10 stems that unite in a single root system. The Acai Palm tree is famous for its nutritious berries, and it appears as a beautiful feather-like a crown of green colour. The berries of Acai are about ½ inches in size, round, and bear a single seed in the center. Initially, the berries appear green and when ripen attain their purple color. They are ready for yield in the dry season from July to December. Each adult Acai Palm tree stem generates about 5-9 bunches of fruit every year, and every bunch weighs approximately 6kgs.
So far, the local inhabitants of Amazon have used the fruits of Acai for preparing a thick, dark purple juice gained by macerating the mature fruits. In a few areas, individual are seen consuming up to 2 litres of juice daily. As it is cheap compared to other juices, it is also known as the poor man’s juice. It is so widely used that there are generally small establishments in the every village named as the Acailandia in most Amazon basin towns that organize and set up the Acai juice, and it is later sold in small plastic bags.
Acai is a staple diet for many poor inhabitants of the lower Amazon region. The Acai porridge is not great in nutrition but is filling with good amounts of sugar and starch. Acai fruit drinks are sold for about $2 on the streets of Belém making it an affordable drink for everyone.
Botanical Name and Family
Botanical Name: Euterpe oleracea
Geological area where acai berry tree (Euterpe oleracea) grows
Grown in the South and Central America mostly in Brazil and Trinidad, it is extensively seen in the flooded areas of rainforest and figures as groves on the plain river side. Its growth process is slow, and it takes about 4-5 years to start producing fruit. Its seed dispersal in different areas of the forest happens with the help of many birds and animals, who eat its fruits.
Medicinal Values of Acai Palm
- Oil is extracted from the fruits, which is used to treat diarrhea and the seeds are crushed and toasted to cure fever.
- The roots are used to treat a lot of diseases like diabetes, liver issues, and muscle pain and hair loss treatment.
- Acai berries are considered to possess anticancer and antiviral properties. They help in preventing tumours and multiplication of cancerous cells.
- The berries of Euterpe oleracea stimulate the immune system and restore energy and vitality in the system.
- They have a positive impact on the heart and help in protecting from cardiovascular diseases. They are also known to combat high blood pressure, reduce heart palpitation and improve blood circulation.
The Acai berries have no known side effects and can be used along with any medicines. However, there may be a chance of developing allergies, depending on individual body conditions.