Vaccinium myrtillus medicinal herb
Vaccinium myrtillus medicinal benefits and plant images
Vaccinium myrtillus is a small tree like structure or better known as a shrub, which provides and blossoms a blue coloured fruit that is known as bilberries. The fruits of Vaccinium myrtillus are used to make fresh jams, pies, cakes, juices, muffins and crepes. These fruits are often confused as American berries, which in reality are not at all similar. These berries or fruits of Whortleberry grow in wild forests in the respective trees and shrubs, and also are handpicked, one at a time. The Vaccinium myrtillus shrubs grow up to the height of 4 to 15 inch with the stem of shrub erected, having long branches and with a woody texture.
In addition, the flowers possessed by this plant are usually red or green in colour with a shape like a pitcher. The flowers and leaves are really tiny with around measurement of 4 to 6 millimetres. The blossom and flowering season arrives in May and stays until July. The fruit of Whortleberry, known as bilberries, are soft, shiny and round blue coloured, which grow on these shrubs in swampy, and grove like forests.
Vaccinium myrtillus has many names like Arielle, Dye Berry, Wine Berry, European Blueberry, Huckleberry, Bilberry, and Whortleberry.
Botanical Name and Family
Botanical Name – Vaccinium myrtillus
Family – Berberidaceae
Geological area where Whortleberry grows
It is mainly developed and cultivated in Europe. The main areas of production of Vaccinium Myrtillus are British Isles, Western Canada, Northern Asia, Greenland, and the Western United States. They are mainly produced in the wild environment in the sharp acidic soil. The Whortleberry has a long history.
Medicinal use of Vaccinium myrtillus
Vaccinium myrtillus has many benefits in the health and medical field in the present scenario. It contains high amounts of Vitamins like C and E. In addition, it has anthocyanins, cyanidin glycosides, and delphinidin.
Here are some of the benefits:
- The fruit of the shrub is widely used for the treatment of gastrointestinal tract disorders related to stomach and prevents diabetes.
- Its supplements are used to cure heart and circulatory system problems and, in turn, diarrhea too.
- The mentioned parts of Whortleberry help in improvement of conditions like night blindness.
- It helps in improvement of blood circulation and improving heart problems like avoiding strokes and attacks.
- It also helps in improvement of varicose veins.
- Whortleberry contains anthocyanosides, the antioxidants that can strengthen blood vessels and capillary walls, mainly noting down the development of the circulatory system.
- It helps in the development of red blood cells and growth of tissues like tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
- It has enzymes, which lower and control cholesterol in one’s body and also help in reducing heart problems, and obesity problems.
- It helps to cure diabetes, and thus, it maintains the blood pressure in human.
- In many places around the world, Vaccinium myrtillus is used to treat kidney stones and cure typhoid fever.
- Not only this, the fruit of Vaccinium myrtillus, Bilberry is used to maintaining the health of the eyes, mainlyretina.
Though it has huge medical benefits, yet always consult a doctor to check if it will be safe for you before using it for any curative purposes.