Home remedies for pneumonia and chest pain
Pneumonia is a medical condition that arises due to bacterial, fungal or viral infection in the lungs. Patients with pneumonia can have relief as there are numerous homemade remedies that can easily cure this disease. A person affected with pneumonia may experience fever, shortness of breath and other disorders related to respiration. Even though the symptoms of pneumonia may not seem severe at the beginning, it is highly advisable that you consult a doctor as soon as you experience any of the symptoms. Severe pneumonia can prove to be fatal if left untreated.
Causes of Pneumonia
Pneumonia basically affects the microscopic air sacs in our lungs known as alveoli. The disease is caused due to bacterial, viral or fungal activity in the lungs. Bacterial infection is the most common cause of this disease while the viral infection is more common in small children. The human immune system is naturally designed to prevent such infections in internal organs, but, in some cases, the immune system may fall too weak to offer resistance.
Toddlers and prematurely born babies face a greater amount of risk to this disease. Similarly, excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, recent viral infection or a stroke can highly deteriorate the natural immunity of your body, leaving you vulnerable to infection in lungs.
However, any individual can acquire pneumonia and the condition can be treated easily if spotted early. Consult your doctor as soon as you observe or experience any of the following symptoms.
Common Symptoms of Pneumonia
1. Shaking chills, fever and cough are the most common symptoms of pneumonia.
2. Pneumonia affected person may also experience chest pain and shortness of breath
3. Other symptoms include nausea and diarrhea.
The symptoms may appear severely or mildly depending on the immune system of individuals. In some cases, severe coughing may bring up greenish or even bloody mucus. Small babies and toddlers may not show any other noticeable symptoms except high fever and fatigue. People above the age of 60 can have a severe cough and difficulty in breathing. Pneumonia can also affect the mental awareness in old age individuals.
Pneumonia can be easily treated at home. There are many natural, effective and easy to prepare remedies that can cure pneumonia. Here are a few most effective homemade remedies for pneumonia:
Top Natural Home Remedies for Pneumonia and chest pain
1. Steam Bath:
This is one of the easiest homemade remedies to pneumonia. Fill a bucket or a small tub with steaming hot water and put a few drops of homely essential oils such as eucalyptus oil, lavender oil or camphor. Cover your head with a towel and deeply inhale the vapours produced by the hot tub. Carrying out this procedure twice a day will reduce the difficulty in breathing and make you feel better.
2. Sesame Seeds:
Sesame seeds have great medicinal properties and are easily available in any home kitchen. Boil a cup of water and add a spoon of sesame seeds to it. Once the seeds become soft, add a spoon of flax seeds and boil the mixture for another 5 minutes. Drink this mixture every morning, before you eat anything else. You can also add salt or honey for better taste.
3. Vegetable Juices:
Vegetable juices can act as good detoxifying agents. They can help in reducing the bacterial or viral infection in lungs.
- Mix 3 parts of carrot juice with one part cucumber juice and one part beet juice. Drink this mixture every morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink several glasses of carrot juice mixed with spinach juice, in a day. This helps in clearing the infection in the bronchi and the air sacs known as alveoli.
Turmeric is widely known for its medicinal properties and is one of the most powerful medicines to cure pneumonia. Turmeric contains a very strong anti-oxidant known as curcumin, which also has anti-inflammatory properties. As our body absorbs curcumin very poorly, you may need some additional supplements to boost the absorption rate. Here are a few easy methods of consuming turmeric:
- Mix one spoon of turmeric powder with a glass of warm milk and drink this mixture every night before bed. Add a pinch of salt or sugar for better taste.
- You can consume turmeric with a pinch of black pepper. Black pepper contains piperine, which can increase the absorption rate of curcumin by up to 2000%. Mix one and a half teaspoon of turmeric powder with ¼ teaspoon black pepper in warm water and consume it every day.
5. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek is a traditional herb widely used in India and China as a medicine for treating various diseases including pneumonia. It offers relief from mucous blockage and coughing and eventually helps in clearing the respiratory system.
- Fenugreek tea can be prepared by boiling a spoonful of fenugreek seeds in approximately 500ml of water. You can add lemon juice to the tea for a better taste. Drinking 4 cups of fenugreek tea a day can help in quick recovery from pneumonia.
Garlic has many properties that can help in curing pneumonia. Its anti-bacterial properties help in reducing the bacterial and viral infection in your lungs. It can also offer relief from fever as it reduces the body temperature by a good margin. There many ways of using garlic to cure pneumonia. Here are a few:
- You can make a garlic paste and rub it on your chest every night before going to bed.
- Have two to three teaspoons of garlic chutney in a day. You can add honey and lemon to garlic paste to suit your taste buds.
7. Boil 1 table spoon carom seeds in 5 cup of water for 15 minutes. Now filter this water and drink this hot water just before going to bed at night. After taking this water, just sleep and cover yourself with a blanket. Follow this procedure 2 times a day for 1 week. It will give you sure relief in chest pain and pneumonia. This carom seed tea is also beneficial for liver, acidity, vomiting, cough, cold and urine problems remedy.
8. Boil 1 clove in 125gm water for 10 minutes. Now put this water off the flame to be cold. Drinking this water every day is very beneficial in pneumonia, cough and cold.
9. If your child has pneumonia then boil 5 tulsi leaves and 1 clove in milk and give this milk to your child.
10. Take 1 table spoon garlic juice and mix with 1 cup of hot water. Drink this water. Do this twice a day.
11. During pneumonia, digestion system gets week so boil one glass of water and mix 2 table spoon honey in it. Drink this hot water sip by sip. Massage your chest with honey.
12. Grind 20 holy basil leaves and 5 black pepper to make a paste. Mix this paste with 2 cup of water and drink. It best home remedy for cough, cold, sore throat and pneumonia.
13. Mix little camphor in turpentine oil and massage your chest with this oil. It will give you fast relief.
14. Eat 5 currant with little asafoetida (heeng) for few days.
15. Take juice of 20gm ginger and 21 holy basil leaves. Mix both juices with 2 table spoon honey. Consume this whole mixture 10 to 12 times a day.
16. For children in pneumonia, mix little asafoetida (heeng) in water and give them. It will easily destroy cough and bacteria.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking enough water and fluids in a day.
- Drink lime juice and other foods rich in vitamin c.
- Cough loudly so that the mucous comes out and gets cleared.
- Do not smoke
- Avoid using cough syrups, as it suppresses the cough.
- Discuss the situation with your doctor so that the best remedies can be applied.
All the above mentioned homemade remedies are highly effective and can cure pneumonia easily. Use the medicines every day till you feel better and you will be fit and healthy again in no time.