Ayurvedic herb Andrographis paniculata uses (Kalmegh)
Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh) is native to India but is found in tropical countries and mostly in the wasteland and isolated patches. It is commonly called as Bhuin Neem. The height of the plant is 50cm to 1m. The plant has a significant quadrangular stem and opposite leaves. The linear and oblong capsule contains more than 12 seeds. It flowers in November and December. The plant in Sanskrit is described as “Sarva roga nivarani,” which means a cure for all disease.
King of bitter.
Botanical name and family
Family – Acanthaceae.
Botanical name- Andrographis paniculata.
Geological distribution of Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh)
Andrographis paniculata is found in tropical, subtropical countries and some Phytogeographical areas like USA, China, West Indies and some islands of Pacific Ocean. It is widely found in South East Asia and Asia. It can grow in a variety of climates such as dry land, water, plain and wasteland. In India, it is found in plains such as Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala.
Medicinal use of Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh)
Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh) has been used since centuries for the treatment of various diseases. It is a great benefit to the Unani, Ayurveda, Homeopathy and household treatment. The chemical components present in it are Andrographolite, neoandrographolite, and deoxyandrographlide. The derivatives of it are andrographiside, andropanoside, andrographin and panicolin. Some medicinal uses of Kalmegh are described below:
- Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh) is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in nature.
- It is used for the treatment of cancer and HIV.
- The regular use of Andrographis paniculata is helpful to cure cough, cold, sinusitis and body pain.
- Kalmegh is used as antibacterial, anti-parasitic and antifungal.
- It is used as a blood purifier and enhances immunity.
- It protects the liver and used as a Liver tonic.
- Traditionally, Andrographis paniculata is used in the treatment of leprosy and cholera.
- The tonic is used against weakness to add strength and vigour to the body.
- The extract of Kalmegh is used in the treatment of slow digestion, bowel irritation and irregular menstrual syndrome.
- It is used against various skin infection, scabies, boil and patches.
- The Kalmegh syrup is also used against fever and malaria.
- Andrographis paniculata is used against the respiratory infection.
- Kalmegh juice is used to cure ulcer traditionally.
- It has also been proved as anti-hepatoxic and anti-typhoid.
- Because of its bitterness, Andrographis paniculata is also used as an anti-diabetic herb.
- The bitter extract of the leaves is useful in killing worms in the stomach.
- The entire plant is very useful in the treatment of snake and scorpion bite.
- It is used against heart disease and reduces high blood sugar.
- The juice is antipyretic and also used to treat diarrhoea.
- The entire plant is helpful for the treatment of filarial, influenza and bronchitis.
- The plant is strongly avoided during pregnancy because of its anti-fertility property.
- The Chinese use this herb for the treatment of throat.
- Charaka Samhita quotes the plant in the treatment of jaundice.
Andrographis paniculata (kalmegh) fruit
Since time immemorial, Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh) is used traditionally for the treatment of various diseases. Modern medical science is also using best of Kalmegh in above said treatments.